Mike Campbell
Portrayed by Matt Davis
"Come off it, Micheal. You're drunk," Brett said.
"I'm not drunk. I'm quite serious. Is Robert Cohn going to follow Brett around like a steer all the time?"
"Shut up, Micheal. Try and show a little breeding."
"Breeding be damned. Who has any breeding, anyway, except the bulls? Aren't the bulls lovely? Don't you like them them, Bill? Why don't you say something Robert? Don't sit there looking like a bloody funeral. What if Brett did sleep with you? She's slept with lots of better people than you."
"Shut up," Cohn said. He stood up. "Shut up, Mike."
(Hemingway, page 146)
"[...] Brett's had affairs with men before. She tells me all about everything. She gave me this chap Cohn's letters to read. I wouldn't read them."
"Damned noble of you." [Jake said.]
"No, listen, Jake. Brett's gone off with men. But they weren't ever Jews, and they didn't come and hang about afterward."
"Damned good chaps," Brett said. "It's all rot to talk about it. Micheal and I understand each other."
(Hemingway, pages 147-148)
God, I can't stand that Cohn fellow. I don't know how the rest of them put up with him. Especially Brett. I can't believe she slept with him. Hell, that Jake fellow would've been a better sport about it than Cohn. All he does is stare and follow her around. I've said what I needed to say tonight and I don't regret a single word. There was more to be said, but the poor chap left before I could.
I confess, the true reason I'm put off by this Robert Cohn is because he's the only one that threatens my relationship with Brett. No other man has pursued her this far. Let alone write her letters. Letters that I can't even damn well read. "Damned noble of you, (Hemingway, page 147)" Jake had said. Yeah, right. Unlike me, Cohn is a published author and quite wealthy because of it. Meanwhile, I struggle financially, but, at least, I have her. "Micheal and I understand each other," Brett had told Jake and we do. I love and accept her in ways he never will. Robert Cohn won't ever be able to take her away from me.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.