Sunday, December 7, 2014

Jake Barnes


"You're an expatriate. You've lost touch with the soil. You get precious. Fake European standards have ruined you. You drink yourself to death. You become obsessed by sex. You spend all your time talking, not working. You are an expatriate, see. You hang around cafés." (Hemingway 120)

Sigh. Yes Bill, I have lost touch with the soil. Yes, those fake standards have ruined me. I do drink myself to death, but, what do you expect? After everything that has happened- with the effects of what WWI has done to me, with Brett not staying by my side and not being able to give her what she wants- what else can I do but these things? To numb my thoughts and feelings, this is the only way. It helps me feel more of a man then I already do. Did you ever think about that Bill, have you? But please don't think you've hurt my feelings. Trust me, everything that you've said is true. I am one of the worst type of expatriates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.