Jake Barnes
"'Listen Jake,' [Cohn] leaned forward on the bar. 'Don't you ever get that feeling that all your life is going by and you're not taking advantage of it? Do you realize you've lived nearly half the time you have to live already?'" (Hemingway 19)
For once in his life, Robert Cohn actually got something right. I mean, he was a little macabre with the whole "you've lived nearly half the time you have to live already" part. My life is going by, but do I have anything to take advantage of? After the so-called Great War I lost the very essence of what it is to be a man. I long for Brett, however, her metaphysical love is all that I will ever attain. All I can do is yearn for her... Plus the Great War left holes not only in me, but also in the people around me. And no matter where I go, no matter how far I travel, I cannot escape myself. While life goes on, I see my friends drink away at their sorrow and give up. In order for this not to affect me, I have to almost detach myself from their reality, full apathy and cynicism, just to get on with my life. Then again, maybe I am also part of the problem. I have lost everything, so I really have nothing to lose. Am I just an immoral expatriate? So be it.
For once in his life, Robert Cohn actually got something right. I mean, he was a little macabre with the whole "you've lived nearly half the time you have to live already" part. My life is going by, but do I have anything to take advantage of? After the so-called Great War I lost the very essence of what it is to be a man. I long for Brett, however, her metaphysical love is all that I will ever attain. All I can do is yearn for her... Plus the Great War left holes not only in me, but also in the people around me. And no matter where I go, no matter how far I travel, I cannot escape myself. While life goes on, I see my friends drink away at their sorrow and give up. In order for this not to affect me, I have to almost detach myself from their reality, full apathy and cynicism, just to get on with my life. Then again, maybe I am also part of the problem. I have lost everything, so I really have nothing to lose. Am I just an immoral expatriate? So be it.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.